Structure is a universal chemical language
Although the "Best" example is a very simple one, it demonstrates an
Note that the following entities did not need to agree on a
standard name or number to make this work:
- the Argentine company who uses the trade name (Medex-Omicron),
- the British company which publishes the World Drug Index (Derwent),
- the Japanese company which made the patent claim (Nitto Dehnki Koge),
- the Japanese Patent Office which issued the patent (JPO),
- the Russian organization which indexes the patents (Sov. Acad. Sci.),
- the German company which computerized the Russian database (Infochem),
- the American company which publishes both databases (Daylight),
- the person asking the question.
The thing that links them together is the molecular information model
which is universal because it is the only thing that is non-arbitrary.