Daylight Summer School 2002, June 5-7 Santa Fe, NM
Daylight Administration - Lab Exercises & Answers
These notes are intended to be brief notes supplementing and outlining the
course material presented in the course Introduction to Daylight. The
manuals should be considered the text for the course and the authoritative
documentation, and should be used in conjunction with these notes for best
Installation and Administration Guide is the relevant manual for this
- Gather information about your computer as described at and ask for a license.
- Save your license to the standard location.
- Getting the Software
- Ask for the software on CD or download it from the Daylight website.
- Extract the software as the Daylight Adminstrator user into the standard directory
- TCP/IP Services
- Environment Variables
- Set DY_ROOT, update your PATH and test.
- Set DY_LICENSEDATA and test.
- Update LD_LIBRARY_PATH and test.
- Web Server Configuration
- Instead of doing the above steps, use the installation scripts for user
B. Clients & Servers
- Storage and Retrieval
- Start THOR, retrieve some data and check the log file
- High-Speed Search
- Start MERLIN, do a search, and check the log file
- SMILES and SMARTS Editor
- Go to the ClogP CGI on the Daylight website and use JavaGrins.
- Enable Restricted Host Mode and test.
- Enable Equivalent Host Mode and test
- Disable security and test.
- Enable database security and test.
- Set database passwords for read permission and test
- Set database passwords for write permission and test
- Set database passwords for executive permission and test
- Set the system profile to make xvthor appear in the middle of the screen
- Set the user profile (overriding the system profile) to make xvthor appear in the top middle of the screen
- Use the command line to make xvthor Set the system profile to make xvthor appear in the top left of the screen
- Ask for a database CD and extract the database as the Daylight Adminstrator user into
the standard directory location.
- Create a database using sthorman.
- Create a database using thormake.
Daylight Chemical Information Systems Inc.