Speeding up Web page development
- Separate presentation from data. Thereby presentation of
information can be varied separately from the information itself. This
makes pages easier to maintain.
Use standard tools to obtain data.
Use standard tools to present retrieved data
All of the Mariner demo's follow this paradigm of
- Mariner includes tools that retrieve data from either Daylight or
Oracle and formats the retrieved data in XML.
- The data in XML format is then passed to an
XSLT processor which reads instructions
in an XSLT file associated with the data, to transform
the data to HTML
- obtaining data in XML
- reading an XSLT file for formatting instructions
- outputting the XML data formatted using XSLT instructions
Since the XSLT source for the Mariner web apps is plain text, it can be
altered by your
IT department. Therefore the output of the web apps can be tailored to
your needs. For example
This gives customers the capability to format information in
whatever form they need it. It also increases the possible usages of the
services available in Mariner.
- You could make the header of your web app output include the
date and time of your search
- You could alter the output to RTF/PDF/HTML/other formats using the appropriate XSLT
- You could add a VML image of the SMILES in the web page, that
could be copied into a Word document and edited
- Depending on the client's browser type, you could choose to output
your results in HTML (for a computer browser) or WML (for a
WML-based browser on a handheld)